A message from ESCC Highways about their gritting plans for the winter months:
Our Winter season officially begins on Monday October 1st and runs through until 30th April 2019.
During this time we receive daily winter weather forecasts and gritting decisions are made on a daily basis, sometimes more in times of extreme weather. Our fleet of 23 gritters will be on standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, ready for when the weather may reach icy conditions. We have over 10,000 tonnes of rock salt across our 6 depots, and all county council grit bins across the county have been filled.
Our Winter Maintenance Service includes the following:
- daily monitoring of road surface temperatures, and snow and ice forecasts
- the provision of winter gritting equipment and standby resources
- the provision of stockpiled rock salt for gritting
- the salting of primary gritting routes in the event of the forecast of frost and ice
- the salting of secondary gritting routes in the event of a forecast of severe ice or snowfall
- the filling, maintenance and refilling of over 900 grit bins across the county
- erection of snow drift fencing on the A259 East Dean Road
- snow clearance from primary and secondary routes, and from main town centre footways
- maintain a winter service section on the East Sussex Highways website containing fact sheets and winter gritting maps
- carry out routine clearance of roadside drains
- monitor 'drainage hotspots' during times of heavy rain
- carry out drainage investigations where needed with drainage issues
Daily gritting decisions will be published via Twitter (@esccroads) and Facebook (EastSussexHighways). In the event of extreme ice or snow we will provide live morning and evening radio updates.
More information regarding our winter service including helpful advice can be found at: https://www.eastsussexhighways.com/winter